Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Weird Question

Sarah Palin saw me in the airport and stopped me.  She goes, can I call you Joe?  I don't think so.  Then she gets this real possessed look in her eyes and glares at me...  She asks me why I created Special Needs people.  I said, let's walk together.  We strolled down the concourse together.  I bought her a soda, and I was drinking wine.  We sat down together at opposite ends of a table.  We took hands.  I looked her straight in the eye with the most gentle smile.  She is still glaring at me.  I said the reason I made retards was to see how other members of society would treat them, and I thought it would be kind of fun in a twisted sort of way - everyone needs a good laugh once and a while no matter how wrong it is.



 Her jaw dropped.  Then I questioned her.  Sarah, my child, why do you get so upset about the word retard - don't you see the humor?   She replied, it is offensive and disrespectful to those with mental disabilities.  I looked at her and said, no, not really because these people don't have mental disabilities the have special abilities the majority of people are too blind to see or understand.  Have you not seen the TV show called Life Goes On?  Here is a perfect example of a mentally disabled (special needs in your world) child demonstrating special abilities.   You are offended and think people are making fun of you or being intentional mean about your situation.  She said, they are.  I looked at her and said, Sarah - why aren't you using your position to raise awareness, change stereotypes and be an advocate for the retards?  She gets this awkward puzzled look on her face.  Sarah replies, I never thought about it that way.  I'm like, what?  Here she has the media hanging on every word she says and she didn't think of it?

Now who's retarded?

I kissed her on the head, got up and hopped a flight to California.  I wanted to see first hand what Mother Nature has been doing with the entire mudslide thing.

All My Love - J

No comments:

Post a Comment