Thursday, February 4, 2010

Whose Little Light?



Brothers and Sisters - Let's talk about that little light.  That little light is mine.  I give it to you through the good news and you proclaim and let it shine for all the world to see.  Your love for me is amazing.  My love for you is even greater than your love for me.  I am so proud to be your Father - I get teary eyed just thinking about it.

I'll admit it.  I enjoy a good football game every now and then.  I've always enjoyed the college games more than the professional games.  The spirit of competition to see who has prepared to take on their opponent and executes best.  I love to see teams and coaches correct when they are behind to fight the good fight and maybe earn victory.  I love the bands.  I love the spirit and camaraderie it creates among teams.  There's a special electricity in the air when it's going to be a good competitive game with impassioned fans.  The smell of the popcorn, enjoying a beer and a good wiener in the stands - maybe some nachos, too....   To a lesser degree, I enjoy hearing the trash talk, too.  Satan and I always get a good laugh when we watch football together.

One of our favorites is watching those famous touchdown end-zone celebrations.  Dude scores some points, drops to one knee, does the fist pound on the chest, makes the sign of the cross and points to heavens.  Kisses his finger and points to the heavens again.  Rock on brother... rock on.  Give me thanks and praise for your athletic agility and skill.  Give thanks that you are strong and able to play football.  I have blessed you with many gifts.  Give me praise, give me praise, give me praise. Yadayadayada...

As this occurs, Satan and I look at each other and bust out laughing.  We point at the idiot on the field doing all his shenanigans.  The dude is making a spectacle of himself thinking he's glorifying me.  Did he ever stop and think that this is why people mock me, him and our movement?  Does he not remember the stories in the bible referring to being humble.  If you ask me, it looks like these types are breaking one of my commandments - the one about 'bearing false witness.'  Last time I checked football was a team sport.  Give thanks to those who made the play along with you -  the coaches, the fellow brethren players, etc.  It's not about you.  It's about us.  Lift up everyone.  I didn't make that touchdown - your team made it possible.  Your preparations, the execution, the random selection that everyone would be in the right place at the right time.  Taking the opportunity that presents itself because your team has adequately prepared for competition by studying the opponent, practicing and executing better than the other guy.  Do a little celebration - give some high fives, etc.

When it is all said and done.  Each game is started with an invocation prayer in the locker room.  You ask to win, you ask for safety and guidance.  You give thanks.  Give a good "AMEN!" do some chest humps and get all psyched up to fight for victory.  Victory is already yours - you got it when you accepted me as your lord and savior and asked for forgiveness of your sins - it is yours for the asking....  At any rate, when was the last time anyone prayed to me after a loss.  When do they pray for the fact they are able to play when the lose or pray and give thanks for the other team inspiring them to practice harder to become better athletes?  Prayer works both ways.  Pray for the blessings and celebrations.  Pray for thanks.  Pray for guidance.  Pray for this.  Pray for that.  Pray.  Pray pray pray.  Pray all the time.  In the morning and the night.  We are all winners, we are all victorious.  Get that through your heads.  Then pray some more.  It is good for you.  It's like your daily God vitamin.

So the little video at the top of today's entry?  All the lost and confused souls doing their praise me after a touch down look like Brother Smith banging his tambourine. You be the judge....  Actually, that is my job.  The play stands as called.

Peace to you - Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment