Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Back in the day

Hello Minions - I was touring the Amish country today.  The Amish people lead an interesting life.  Very simple and modest - and they are happy, too.  I guess I would be happy if my friends raised a barn for me, too.  Anyway, the Amish make their own clothes, use a horse and buggy to transport themselves and their goods to and from market, etc.  Very modest lifestyle.  As I examined their quilt and woodwork I couldn't help but remember my childhood, working with Joseph in the family wood shop.

Everyone thinks we made jewish toys like dreidels.  Yes, we did make wooden toys.  However, the big money was crafting furniture....  Especially when our work is compared to our peers.

Back in the day, a lot of carpenters made furniture looking like this:
Kinda bulky and clumsy - lacking style.  I don't know what you'd call it - lame?

Then I remember the nice things my mortal father and I made.  We were on the cutting edge. 
Check it out.  We understood the art of bending wood and thinking multi-dimensionally.  Furniture could be functional and aesthetically pleasing. Look at my chair, an absolute work of art.  Remember when I told you Steve Jobs does one of the best imitations of me to date - we are both obsessed with design.  The chair looks like a fish.  I love it.  I don't know how many times we prototyped this - but the end result is worth it.  Divine intervention.  Awesome.

Hey Bob Villa - Can you top this?


No comments:

Post a Comment